New Zealand is an awesome place to spend your summer days, as beaches, rivers and local pools are only a good road trip away. Being the true summer bunnies that us Kiwis are, you can probably relate to the fact that we have spent a fair few years carting around almost every piece of summer you own (food, towels, lost and odd jandals), adding sand and more bits of the beach on the floor of your car.
To ensure you get more ‘Family Fun in the Sun’- we’ve put together a spread of ideas that include our favourite summer foods that are perfect to take along for your family outings, summer essentials to capture memorable moments and sun safe must haves.
Food and Drink Spread:
Nothing beats good food & drinks on a summer’s day! When we head out we always make sure to pack summer foods that are fresh, has minimal prep and will keep you full and nourished for an awesome day in the sun.
1. Classic guac & chips is a super delicious and easy for any outing
2. Fresh summer fruit in all its glory with some ice cream if you’re lucky!
3. A simple antipasto platter with all the bits and bobs that cause you not to stop!
4. Homemade ice blocks. Invest in some ice block moulds so you can make homemade icies overnight for the kiddies.
5. Making iced teas at home saves you money and they taste better than store-bought ones as well.
Sun Safety Spread:
Sun safety is so important to us! The sun here in New Zealand is so harsh, we literally get burnt in minutes! Banana Boat SPF 50+ sunscreen is a must have for this hot sun! As always a wide brim hat or an umbrella is good to have, and of course, some sunglasses and a t-shirt to protect your body and eyes. For now, let’s quickly revisit the recommended sunscreen tips to help to keep you and your family safe this summer.
– Choose a broad-spectrum sunscreen of at least SPF50+. Broad-spectrum sunscreen reduces the intensity of both UVA and UVB rays.
– Test any sunscreen on a small patch of skin before you start using it regularly to check that it doesn’t irritate your skin.
– Apply sunscreen at least 20mins before you go out into the sun and again once you’ve been in the sun for 10-20mins for an extra protective layer.
– Make sure you apply enough sunscreen every time – 7 teaspoons each application (one teaspoon per limb then two tsp on your torso and one tsp for your face neck and ears).
– Reapply at least every 2 hours and more often when swimming, sweating or towel drying.
– Do not store your sunscreen in direct sunlight ie, not on a window ledge, or where it can warm up quickly (glove compartment in your car).
– Like medicine, sunscreen is a perishable product, so it’s important to store below 30C and check the expiry date.
The Banana Boat SPF 50+ Kids sunscreen moisturises and protects your skin. It’s easy to apply and glides on and spreads thinly, not all thick and smudgy like other varieties. It’s available in an SPF 50+ large bottle or Baby roll-on lotion and has Broad-spectrum UVA and UVB protection, and is water-resistant for up to 4 hours. If you’re looking for a trusted sunscreen to help protect you and your family this summer then keep an eye out for Banana Boat SPF 50+ Kids and Baby products. For more info click here.
This is a list of technology essentials that will come in handy for an awesome summer outing so you can enjoy and capture every memory and moment you make with your loved ones.
1. Backup portable charger so you have a full charge all day long.
2. Blue tooth speaker to listen to your favourite summer songs while basking in the sun.
3. Blue tooth remote & stand to take ultimate family shots.
4. A good phone camera to capture all your summer fun.
To help make your summer a little bit better we have an awesome Banana Boat prize pack worth $100.00 to giveaway that includes a beach blanket and Banana Boat SPF 50+ Product Bundle. To enter, comment below and tell us where your favourite kiwi summer beach spot is located in Aotearoa New Zealand.
Competition closes 5.3.18
Open to New Zealand Residents only.
Have a safe and happy summer – Jay & Sarah